Skip to content

Educators' Ideas

106 results found

1. prevent cheating - highlight ALL responses after a response is submitted

Currently, student responses are highlighted on their screens. In a large, crowded lecture hall, any confused student can look around and see the majority response on their neighbors' screens. This makes respond-on-your-own questions fruitless.

A simple fix: once a student chooses a response, ALL responses are highlighted.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

I can see how this could be a problem, especially in a lab or large lecture hall where most students would be responding from laptops. It’s a little easier than a small cell phone screen. There is certainly the tried and true method of peaking at your classmates paper.

We show the option that a student selected to allow them to change their answer (assuming our Clear response feature is enabled on the poll question) and to provide some feedback for the student to see if they got the question correct. And, we would like to have this continue to be our default setup.

We could make a toggle switch for you to go on anti-cheat mode or the like for more preventative measures. May I ask, would you want this setting on all of your poll questions or are there poll questions where you would want the student’s to…

2. Darken Screen After Responding

Redesign the user screen so that answers aren’t displayed more than a few seconds, and in a small box on computers. Our lecturers ask students to poll in with their individual response, then discuss with a neighbor and poll in again. With the large computer screens displaying student answers, there is no need for discussion as students will just look off of their neighbor's screen. This is a negative for our classes and it changes the way our lecturers teach, and gives cause to minimize the use of polling.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

That’s an interesting use case. I can understand why this would be helpful in a “lab” type setting. The way you describe it, to have the screen darken after a few seconds, would go against our accessibility guidelines for ADA compliance. We might be able to get by this with an “opt-in” feature that you could select. I would need to ask our design team if they have any ideas

One thing, have you tried our multi-page survey features at all? It’s designed for a more asynchronous teaching style to let students answer questions at their own pace. However, it does let them answer a question > click Next > and this takes them to the next poll question in the survey. At this point the students could discuss in pairs/groups about the question they just answered and then make adjustments/comments in a followup question. You can see a bit…

3. Quick Clear button for Google Slides

Would like to see a "clear results" button on the poll so when I do back-to-back Google Slides presentations, it would be easier to clear.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow for personalized polling order output in created reports.

When reports are created, it organizes the polls by name instead of order presented to my class. So instead of seeing my questions appear in the order that they were presented (ex: Q1, Q2, Q3, Q1, Q2, Q3, Q1, Q2, Q3) they appear to be organized by name (ex: Q1, Q1, Q1, Q2, Q2, Q2, Q3, Q3, Q3). Can we set it up so that if I wish to view my students response patterns over the course of the quarter in a spreadsheet that they appear in chronological order? Or at the very least, in the order they appear listed…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  5. Location Tracking

GPS tracking to discourage cheaters. Some stay home in their dorms/apartments and just wait for a poll to come up. We have to find clever ways to keep them from cheating.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

This has always been a far-off dream for us and I 100% understand the desire to limit responses to only participants within the room. We have been waiting and hoping for GeoTracking technology to be reliable enough for us to use as part of our regular workflow. I have personally used Uber or enough times where they have me one or more city blocks away from my actual location and we really don’t want the same situation to prevent a student from getting any class credit.

That said, there are a few ways we could try to tackle the problem. Would something like this work for you?
    - you are able to set you poll questions to “Request the participants location” before they are able to respond
    - the student is then prompted to share their location on the phone/laptop
    - if Poll Everywhere is unable to determine the location…

6. Make it seamless to use a Power Point doc with polls on multiple computers

Make it easier to use the Poll Everywhere plugin for Power Point.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

Is there anything in particular that you are having trouble with regarding our PowerPoint integration? I know there a few trouble spots when using multiple computers with our application.

For example, are you having trouble installing the add-in? Or, maybe tracking which “user” is logged in within our PowerPoint application? Or, something else!

We’re always on the lookout for improvements.

7. Participation grades

My participants are students and it would be great if they had the following in their displays: 1) groups in which they are enrolled, 2) current participation rate (% of total questions responded), 3) current "correctness" rate, 4) which questions that were presented that they did not respond to. I would also like to see the ability to sync multiple emails to an account so they can respond with both their school and personal accounts.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

This is great, thanks for the request! We are in some of the very initial design stages for what we’re calling a “Participant Dashboard” which students would be able to easily access from their mobile devices or computers and review this type of information.

Enrolled groups and a “correctness rate” as a proxy for their grade are both doable. The participation rate and generally displaying poll questions they did not respond to is much tougher. With faculty who use Poll Everywhere across multiple courses it is difficult for us to currently know which group/class the polls are for. And, we have some users who do not want to show questions participants did not answer to prevent any cheating or as an incentive to show up to class and answer. So, there are some business concerns as well for that.

Would it work for you all if we had an ability…

8. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Christine,

Could you give me a little more detail about what is happening with your Canvas Account? You should be able to export our Gradebook accounts to any Canvas Account that is integrated with Poll Everywhere. Worst case scenario it might take another user/login like a TA to upload the Gradebook to a separate Canvas account provided it is integrated on the backend.

If this sounds like what you are having trouble with, can you email us at: support@polleverywhere.com and give us a few more details? We’ll do our best to get to the bottom of this and see what we can do

Hope this helps!

9. Improve Grading for Multiple Polls at One Time

Create an easier user interface for grading multiple polls on one page with the option to give a unique number of points for various answers (both incorrect and correct) without having to click on each individual poll and change the response grading from there.

I grade all of the polling questions at the end of the week, and there can be 20+ polls for each section that I'm responsible for. Having to click on each polling question and changing the grade values for each possible response is tedious and is prone to having me make grading mistake on my end…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We are actually working on a large project right now that should really help with grading polls. We are basically working on re-doing our entire poll creation process (and we’re finally close enough to talk about it).

This will have greater customization and editing for poll questions at the creation stage (including grading). I do not believe this is currently slated to include increased support to our Weighted Grading feature (https://polleverywhere.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/799830) – which is currently in beta testing. But, this should be an easier process soon

I will update this post when we are about to send out the new update

10. After the results - Now What

Have the ability to work with responses on screen.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

What do you have in mind exactly Desmond? When you get the results displayed on the screen you can make some visual adjustments (you can see details to our visual settings here https://www.polleverywhere.com/guides/presenter/getting-started#customizing_your_poll)

Or, you can export the results to CSV and manipulate them for analysis and reporting. We cover how that works in detail here: https://www.polleverywhere.com/guides/presenter/reporting

Is there anything else in particular you would like to do? We’re absolutely interested in your feedback and use case

11. merge surveys

I'd love a way to merge survey response from different classes after doing the same survey with different groups

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sure! So, currently we have a lot of background color options and the ability to upload a background image. Are you thinking of something like background “templates” sort of like how PowerPoint or Keynote use for slide backgrounds?

Otherwise, on fonts – are there any in particular you are looking for that we don’t have right now?

13. Presenters would like to be able to Password protect their polling sessions

This idea was brought to my attention by an educator. The idea is derived from the desire to ensure that students are present in class before participating. One easy way to do this is to apply a simple password or key required to access the presenter's pollev.com response page.

My initial idea is to integrate this into the user settings, in the Poll Settings of the Personal Info page.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  14. Data Visualization of Results

Enhance data visualization options for poll resutls

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Seek version for use with Keynote on an iPad

Need version to work directly with Keynote on an iPad

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We do have an integration with the PowerPoint app for iPad. And, that is available today (I have the link below for installing)

Unfortunately, we need Apple to make a few changes to their Keynote API before we can take that one on. In the meantime, i would recommend using a full desktop or laptop and our Mac Presenter App which does support Keynote (just not on an iPad).

https://store.office.com/poll-everywhere-WA104218073.aspx?assetid=WA104218073

16. Improve PowerPoint Add-In stability

Improvements in PowerPoint Add-In stability

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Confusion meter

Polls where a student can 'retract' their answer. A useful idea for us is a ' I'm confused' meter during a complex class. Students click to indicate their confusion and a screen pops up on the presenter PC/account. When the student is satisfied/no longer confused they can click it 'off' and the presenter PC/screen is updated to reflect this.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Cool idea! I might recommend hacking our multiple choice polls for this in the short run. Here’s something you could try
    - add a “I’m confused” answer choice for a multiple choice poll
    - all of our multiple choice polls have a Change Answer feature enabled by default
    - students who are confused can initially post that response and the change their answer once they understand
    - you’ll be able to see the “I’m confused” on the regular bar chart

19. images in polls, in other formats

Add a figure (in different formats such as .pdf, .docx, or .pptx) to a poll

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  20. Closed poll responses

restricting answers to a particular group (to avoid dummy accounts with inappropriate responses)

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recently built a way for us to restrict poll responses only to participants who are already registered with your account. It takes a bit of custom setup for us to do. If your university or organization is interested contact us at sales@polleverywhere.com and we can work it out.

A question for anyone interested that will help us flesh this custom (for now) work to everyone – Would you want to restrict these responses to a specific group/class? Or, would restricting the poll questions to registered participants at the university/organization as a whole work for you?

Educators' Ideas

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base