Educators' Ideas

How can we improve Poll Everywhere?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Enhanced Rich Text Editing for Questions and Answer Choices

Add a rich text editor for questions and answer choices. Many users need more control over how text appears than the current platform allows.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

What sorts of text controls did you have in mind? We do have a few options right now such as using LaTeX for math or science equations and then we also have the ability to add italics, break lines, and bold characters in the questions.

Could you give us a few examples of things you would like to add?

For info on LaTeX:https://www.polleverywhere.com/support/articles/power-users/latex

For info on italics, bold, and break lines: https://www.polleverywhere.com/blog/new-features-roundup-bold-italics-and-breaks/

Thanks for the feedback!

• Customizing poll appearance

More customization of how the polls appear to the audience. Also improving the cloud option for brain-storming

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have a lot of customization options for how the bar chart (and other visualizations) look on the big screen. Is there any kind of visualization option you had in mind?

These include the sizing of the different chart elements, colors, background image, logo, side-by-side image, and a lot more. You can read about them or watch a vide of how they look here: https://www.polleverywhere.com/guides/presenter/getting-started#customizing-your-poll

• Make using surveys as quizzes easier

Expand surveys into quizzes

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • ALLOW "CHECK ALL THAT APPLY"

I need you to allow students to check "all that apply" in a single response. Telling us to tell students to "respond as many times as they would like" is not a solution because I have 35 kids in each class and you only allow up to 40 responses on a paid account. Your "solution" only allows a couple students to respond more than once!

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We do have a beta feature available that can be enabled to help address this issue. If you go to https://www.polleverywhere.com/labs and enable the option for “Disable duplicate responses” this will allow participants to respond with multiple options to a single poll question without allowing them to select the same option multiple times.

It’s our initial foray into this type of poll type or option. It does still count toward the ultimate response limit which is the base of most of our pricing right now and is therefore tricky to change. It is part of a longer term plan to change our count limit to individual participants, however that will still be some time away unfortunately. It will be a significant project for us with a lot of risks.

Thanks for the feedback, sorry I don’t have better news for you just yet.

• 8 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Single Sign On

Single Sign On for profiles already on your website

4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We do offer SAML Single Sign On for our enterprise level clients, however it is not available for our retail plans. Anyone who contacts us at sales@polleverywhere.com or visits polleverywhere.com/enterprise can see some more details for it.

Otherwise, I suspect you would like something like a Google or Facebook SSO option. If that is the case it is something we have considered, but we don’t have any short-term plans to implement. It adds a significant risk towards people creating duplicate accounts as we need to add handling for people to connect their Gmail (or something similar) to their Poll Everywhere account. And, it can cause trouble and require a lot of merging if someone isn’t sure if they used their personal or work email and such.

We’ll definitely consider it though. Thanks for the idea!

• NATIVE LTI INTEGRATION

Provide native Canvas LTI Integration as the Univerity of Florida will not provide a root level “Developer Key” (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10847-4214445806)

4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Allow Credit/No Credit Responses

Students enjoy the text wall and word cloud options, but currently cannot get points for them. Having a way to assign credit for responses given, without limiting students to specific words, would be a marked improvement to PollEverywhere's functionality. Making the innovative response patterns Credit/No Credit would really motivate and innovate the classroom.

39 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is interesting. Right now we do give a Participation Score with our Gradebook report that will give credit to students who respond to our Open Ended Poll like Word Cloud and Text Wall. However, our LMS integrations with Blackboard and Canvas do not send this participation score. They only receive the Correctness score. I suspect this is what is happening for you all.

I have opened up a request with our Integrations Team to look into the difficulty/complexity to send a “grade” for our open ended polls. We have to check with Blackboard and Canvas to find the best way to send this information.

Does that sound like it’s describing your situation?

• Slide appearance

More control over font, background color, etc

2 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

We have a pretty extensive amount of customization options for our chart. Including background color, text color, sizing, background images, side by side images along with your chart, and six or so different fonts. We go over a lot of these and how they work in our User Guide here: https://www.polleverywhere.com/guides/presenter/getting-started#customizing-your-poll

Is there anything in particular that you are looking for in customizing the slide?

• Logos for Reports

The ability to add logos to reports and/or to download reports into MS Word.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • KWL tags for pollev

Create an online "K-W-L" chart for educators; poll takers could tag their post as either the K, W, or L category, and Poll EV would project the responses in three columns.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • For the Moodle integration, automatically send students a registration link

Right now, the e-mail sent out to students notifies students that their account has been created, but does not explain the registration process or provide a link. It would be great if these were provided or if the e-mail was customizable by the instructor.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Right now (as of about August), we send an email to students who are registered via an LMS. This email says:
                            “[Professor Name] has registered you as a participant with their Poll Everywhere account. To log in and complete the registration process use the following link: [password_link]”

We’re currently working on a way to allow professors to resend this link to their students in bulk if they haven’t received it or haven’t logged in. We can definitely look into some ways to customize this message, but it is a bit larger of a project than we’d like because we need to store these customized messages, add some handling to prevent spam (in case someone is only pretending to be an educator), and then change the LMS invitation workflow to allow some handling to customize the email. It’s something we will definitely consider if we hear it requested from some…

• PowerPoint plugin

allow the templates to be customizable within the presentation software tools like PowerPoint.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Keep questions from appearing in User's response history (tests)

We would like to give graded Tests & Quizzes using the Survey feature. Our concern however is that the responses then show to the students/users in their response history. This could help them in future tests to see what they said previously.

Maybe this feature could be when the question is created, with a check box that says "restrict question and answer from showing in user's response history"

29 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                3 comments  ·  Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We actually just released something very similar, although it does not go as far as you suggested. Our new feature will allow you to hide the Correct Answer from a student’s response history. So, while they will know what they selected previously, it does not let them know if they were correct. You can see some more details for this here: https://polleverywhere.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1130833

I’m hesitant to hide the full question and answer however. It’s common for student’s to accidentally register under a personal email address and this response history is the only way we have to rectify the situation. We also have a number of faculty who promote using the Response History for studying and reviewing for exams.

Do you think hiding the correct answer is enough or would more restriction help?

• Student-to-instructor channel

It would be helpful to have a way for students to submit questions to the instructor in a way that allows the instructor to see who asked the question. The student question would by default NOT be visible to everyone, but the instructor could choose to make it visible in the system. Ideally, there would also be options to respond either directly to the student, or post a response to the entire group through the system.

The open-ended polls can be used for this, but I'd like to be able to have this option without launching a poll. (Also, I've…

2 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Pictures with text caption as answers

Mixed-format possible answers, e.g., a figure with its caption. I would find it useful to both show something to be chosen, and display a small text with some extra info for each picture/answer.

5 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

This has come up in some of our recent conversations about web-accessibility and the need to add captions/text for accessibility to uploaded images. There are still some outstanding questions for this, specifically with the best way to display this on the visual chart. There’s just limited available space.

- Would you want the text to be displayed over the image or separated? Or, would it matter for you?

Thanks for the idea!

Brian
                                    Product Manager of Poll Everywhere

• Presenters would like the ability to limit polls to specific registered participant groups

This was brought to my attention by a professor who is concerned that students may stumble across the response page when a poll is enabled for a different class or section. The idea is to have a secondary optoin under 'Registered Participants Only' that would further limit access to the polls to participants who are registered in a specific participant group on their user profile.

55 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Customize default invitation email to be from institution, not name

We would like to be able to customize the invitation email to say the name of our school, not the name of the person sending the invite. We know there's a workaround of changing your name to be the name of the institution, but it would be nicer if there were a default that we could control as admins.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

We do offer the ability to customize the body of the invitation email. Just click the “I’d like to customize the invitation message” and our hope was that this would be enough to give context to anyone receiving the message.

I’m hesitant to add an option to override the name of the person sending the invite because we want to have a public audit trail of who on the account invited the new users. For example, an account that has multiple Administrators may want to have some trail of exactly who sent the invite and who to follow up with in case there are issues.

There’s other better ways we can do this, but I don’t want to overcomplicate the invitation process with more settings.

I will have our design team look into setting the invitation as coming from the Organization Name in a prominent place in the email. I…

• zoom

zoom features

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Lock down for summative assessment

Lock down option for simple summative assessment

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Educators' Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base