Educators' Ideas

How can we improve Poll Everywhere?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Ability to customize the "username's presentation" header from the top of the respondent UI.

Right now, the header says "custom poll URL" + " 's presentation" and there is no way to customize this without editing the URL. It would be great to hide/edit it for polls separate from these fields. A lot of the time the custom URL chosen does not flow well (e.g. "Attendance's presentation") OR the user creating the poll isn't the actual presenter and doesn't want their name to display here.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Pre and Post Session comparison

It would be great to have the ability to compare respondents' answers at the beginning and end of the session to a poll in one visualization. Respondents would answer the same question at the start and end to see if their opinions changed. While this can be hacked together by creating two polls with the same question and placing the results visualization slides next to each other, it's not as impactful as seeing both runs in one visualization.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. ALLOW "CHECK ALL THAT APPLY"

I need you to allow students to check "all that apply" in a single response. Telling us to tell students to "respond as many times as they would like" is not a solution because I have 35 kids in each class and you only allow up to 40 responses on a paid account. Your "solution" only allows a couple students to respond more than once!

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We do have a beta feature available that can be enabled to help address this issue. If you go to https://www.polleverywhere.com/labs and enable the option for “Disable duplicate responses” this will allow participants to respond with multiple options to a single poll question without allowing them to select the same option multiple times.

It’s our initial foray into this type of poll type or option. It does still count toward the ultimate response limit which is the base of most of our pricing right now and is therefore tricky to change. It is part of a longer term plan to change our count limit to individual participants, however that will still be some time away unfortunately. It will be a significant project for us with a lot of risks.

Thanks for the feedback, sorry I don’t have better news for you just yet.

4. Pictures with text caption as answers

Mixed-format possible answers, e.g., a figure with its caption. I would find it useful to both show something to be chosen, and display a small text with some extra info for each picture/answer.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This has come up in some of our recent conversations about web-accessibility and the need to add captions/text for accessibility to uploaded images. There are still some outstanding questions for this, specifically with the best way to display this on the visual chart. There’s just limited available space.

- Would you want the text to be displayed over the image or separated? Or, would it matter for you?

Thanks for the idea!

Brian
    Product Manager of Poll Everywhere

5. counters for no of responses and time elapsed on the poll page

For class room use, it would be great to have a live counter for no of responses and time elapsed on the poll page. See attached screenshot from another polling software. This would greatly enhance the in class usage.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Location Tracking

GPS tracking to discourage cheaters. Some stay home in their dorms/apartments and just wait for a poll to come up. We have to find clever ways to keep them from cheating.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This has always been a far-off dream for us and I 100% understand the desire to limit responses to only participants within the room. We have been waiting and hoping for GeoTracking technology to be reliable enough for us to use as part of our regular workflow. I have personally used Uber or enough times where they have me one or more city blocks away from my actual location and we really don’t want the same situation to prevent a student from getting any class credit.

That said, there are a few ways we could try to tackle the problem. Would something like this work for you?
    - you are able to set you poll questions to “Request the participants location” before they are able to respond
    - the student is then prompted to share their location on the phone/laptop
    - if Poll Everywhere is unable to determine the location…

7. Can we add images to open-ended questions please? Not to the logo type. Thanks.

Can we add images to open-ended questions please? Not to the logo type. Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Include poll timestamp in Gradebook

The Gradebook includes points per poll, but does not tell you what polls were taken, for example, on the same day (in academia, that would equal one class period). Including the timestamp for each poll (i.e., when it was activated) allow the presenter to easier process and analyze the data in external applications and to generate daily averages.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Have multiple clickable image icon settings

I spoke with Sejal (vashi@hsph.harvard.edu) and she was using the clickable image (emotion one). She wanted to change up the icon (maybe to an arrow) on the clickabe image and change the color of the drop pin but there isn't a way. She would like to request these options be added to our clickable image

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We do plan on creating a new setting to change the color of the pins (to be other than just Green). We’ll update here when that becomes available, we don’t have a specific timeline in mind.

However, that does not include various ways of customizing the “shape” of the pin.

Thanks for the idea!

10. Remove requirement to type "delete" when deleting a poll

The requirement to type "delete" when deleting a poll is excessive. I can understand a popup that requires a check next to "are you sure you want to delete?" But requiring typing is cumbersome, and honestly, accidentally deleting a question should be relatively rare for a reasonable person, and hardly worth creating this hurdle.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I understand completely. We were also reluctant to do this however we just had too many instances of customers accidentally deleting many poll questions in bulk.

I will say that this is not going to be a long term or permanent solution. Our hope is to implement a Trash Bin and a way for folks to “Undelete” polls within a reasonable time frame. Similar to most email providers. Unfortunately, that is a fairly complex project and will be some time.

So, please bare with us for now on the “Delete” typing. And, we really apologize for the increased friction.

Thank you for the feedback

11. Adjustable auto-close time for survey & questions

We're looking for a custom auto-locking survey (but could be for any question) based on time after the survey has opened. Right now it has auto-close for 5 minutes, 1 hour, or 1 day. After that the custom button lets you set a day and time. We just want to option to type in a number of minutes, specifically for us - 20 minutes. The survey will close 20 minutes after it opens to the students.

Thanks!

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add chart to remote control view.

Right now if you look at "my activities" in the app you can see participant responses even if they aren't displayed to the participants on the screen. However, when using the "Remote Control" option in the app you can't see the responses. It would be VERY useful for my faculty if they could use the app to both control their presentations and see the participant responses in advance

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Line breaks in responses

I really like Poll Everywhere, but a serious short-coming for me is the lack of a very basic function.

I would like to be able to use Poll Everywhere to get students to practice their essay writing skills. My plan is to have students write or plan essay sections in groups in class time; be able to see the results as they come in; and at the end of the session be able to step through what is good/bad/otherwise about the answers on the big screen.

This is important to me because, as a legal academic, part of my role…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. We really appreciate it. Before I get into the specifics, may I ask – about how long are the responses that you are receiving from your students? A rough word count or so would be fantastic, I want to make sure we’re on the same page about length.

Otherwise, there is some technical concerns around adding specific HTML in responses because we don’t want to open any security holes in replies. And, I understand your point that is a large burden on students to learn anyway.

There’s some balance we have between having Enter submit the response instead of a new line. The vast majority of the time we have shorter responses and we want to emphasize speed for real time replies. But, I can understand confusion there. We had a lot of back and forth on which is the appropriate behavior.

Ultimately, I think…

14. Enhanced Rich Text Editing for Questions and Answer Choices

Add a rich text editor for questions and answer choices. Many users need more control over how text appears than the current platform allows.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

What sorts of text controls did you have in mind? We do have a few options right now such as using LaTeX for math or science equations and then we also have the ability to add italics, break lines, and bold characters in the questions.

Could you give us a few examples of things you would like to add?

For info on LaTeX:https://www.polleverywhere.com/support/articles/power-users/latex

For info on italics, bold, and break lines: https://www.polleverywhere.com/blog/new-features-roundup-bold-italics-and-breaks/

Thanks for the feedback!

15. Add more slots to the “Recent Presentations” on the home screen of the mobile app.

Hello, I am a first year medical student. We use Poll Everywhere multiple times a week with several different professors. It works well, however we are constantly entering different presentation names. Is it possible to add a few more slots (6-9 total) to “Recent presentations?”

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add tags to polls

It would be nice if users could add tags to polls based on topics, subject matter, or organization. For example, if I'm teaching a biology course that's M/W/F this semester but T/TH next semester, I will want to re-arrange my groups to fit the new schedule. Similarly, I might have questions on a particular topic that I use in different classes. If I know that I have a question on "mitosis" but I'm not sure which group or whether that word appears in the question text, if the question was tagged with that term and the term was searchable it…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! That’s an interesting request. Do you have a preference for using tags over, say, a more hierarchical folder system?

I know there’s been requests for both and they address similar, but different problems. Regardless, thank you for the details feedback! I’ll pass this along to the team

17. Single Sign On

Single Sign On for profiles already on your website

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Business  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We do offer SAML Single Sign On for our enterprise level clients, however it is not available for our retail plans. Anyone who contacts us at sales@polleverywhere.com or visits polleverywhere.com/enterprise can see some more details for it.

Otherwise, I suspect you would like something like a Google or Facebook SSO option. If that is the case it is something we have considered, but we don’t have any short-term plans to implement. It adds a significant risk towards people creating duplicate accounts as we need to add handling for people to connect their Gmail (or something similar) to their Poll Everywhere account. And, it can cause trouble and require a lot of merging if someone isn’t sure if they used their personal or work email and such.

We’ll definitely consider it though. Thanks for the idea!

18. Customizing poll appearance

More customization of how the polls appear to the audience. Also improving the cloud option for brain-storming

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Education  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have a lot of customization options for how the bar chart (and other visualizations) look on the big screen. Is there any kind of visualization option you had in mind?

These include the sizing of the different chart elements, colors, background image, logo, side-by-side image, and a lot more. You can read about them or watch a vide of how they look here: https://www.polleverywhere.com/guides/presenter/getting-started#customizing-your-poll

19. Reports and Data Runs

Scenario:
    Faculty has a combined Canvas set up for four sections of Acct 2122.

The faculty clears/archives his PE data after each class. So, at the end of the day, he has four PE data sets (one for the 8am class, one for the 9:30am class, etc). Faculty needs to transfer the data to his one Combined Canvas course.

Faculty started using PE in fall 2017. During fall 2017, he would select “All runs” to move his four PE data sets into the Canvas gradebook. So, faculty only ran the PE grade transfer process one time for all four sections.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. LaTeX(Beamer) presenter app

It would be nice if it was possible to embed polls in LaTeX Beamer based presentations, which are used heavily by some educators in Computer Science, Math and Natural Sciences.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hmm, interesting. We do have some LaTeX integration to allow formulas and equations in the answer choices for multiple choice polls. You can read about the specifics for this here: http://polleverywhere.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/163071-picture-images-and-equations-as-options

We’ll have to look a bit more into how the API for this will work with us. We’re a company of engineers and Comp Sci people so, we’re always interested in LaTeX

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
  • Don't see your idea?

Educators' Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base