Skip to content

Educators' Ideas

155 results found

1. Customize default invitation email to be from institution, not name

We would like to be able to customize the invitation email to say the name of our school, not the name of the person sending the invite. We know there's a workaround of changing your name to be the name of the institution, but it would be nicer if there were a default that we could control as admins.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

We do offer the ability to customize the body of the invitation email. Just click the “I’d like to customize the invitation message” and our hope was that this would be enough to give context to anyone receiving the message.

I’m hesitant to add an option to override the name of the person sending the invite because we want to have a public audit trail of who on the account invited the new users. For example, an account that has multiple Administrators may want to have some trail of exactly who sent the invite and who to follow up with in case there are issues.

There’s other better ways we can do this, but I don’t want to overcomplicate the invitation process with more settings.

I will have our design team look into setting the invitation as coming from the Organization Name in a prominent place in the email. I…

2. zoom

zoom features

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Business  ·  Admin →
  3. prevent cheating - highlight ALL responses after a response is submitted

Currently, student responses are highlighted on their screens. In a large, crowded lecture hall, any confused student can look around and see the majority response on their neighbors' screens. This makes respond-on-your-own questions fruitless.

A simple fix: once a student chooses a response, ALL responses are highlighted.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

I can see how this could be a problem, especially in a lab or large lecture hall where most students would be responding from laptops. It’s a little easier than a small cell phone screen. There is certainly the tried and true method of peaking at your classmates paper.

We show the option that a student selected to allow them to change their answer (assuming our Clear response feature is enabled on the poll question) and to provide some feedback for the student to see if they got the question correct. And, we would like to have this continue to be our default setup.

We could make a toggle switch for you to go on anti-cheat mode or the like for more preventative measures. May I ask, would you want this setting on all of your poll questions or are there poll questions where you would want the student’s to…

4. Data vizualization freedom

Poll participants can create their own data visualizations. Woah.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  5. For multipule resonse such as 2 or more responses to a poll will give full credit or no credit at all (no partial credit/weighted grading).

For a multiple choice question: 4 of the 5 possible responses will be correct and be assigned one point total. If all four responses are selected with "Mark as Correct", and a student doesn’t select all 4 correct answers then they will receive a zero

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We do have a weighted grading feature that can be enabled from our Features lab section. It’s pretty stable, but we do not have all the features we want in it yet to be completely released by default. You can turn it on and try it out by doing the following:
    1. Click on the gear icon on the top right of the page and go to Settings
    2. Select Features lab on the left side of settings
    3. scroll down and click the Enabled button for Weighted grading
    4. click the Apply labs settings button at the bottom of the page

Then for any Multiple Choice Poll you can go to Edit > and assign specific points for each answer choice

6. Participation grades

My participants are students and it would be great if they had the following in their displays: 1) groups in which they are enrolled, 2) current participation rate (% of total questions responded), 3) current "correctness" rate, 4) which questions that were presented that they did not respond to. I would also like to see the ability to sync multiple emails to an account so they can respond with both their school and personal accounts.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

This is great, thanks for the request! We are in some of the very initial design stages for what we’re calling a “Participant Dashboard” which students would be able to easily access from their mobile devices or computers and review this type of information.

Enrolled groups and a “correctness rate” as a proxy for their grade are both doable. The participation rate and generally displaying poll questions they did not respond to is much tougher. With faculty who use Poll Everywhere across multiple courses it is difficult for us to currently know which group/class the polls are for. And, we have some users who do not want to show questions participants did not answer to prevent any cheating or as an incentive to show up to class and answer. So, there are some business concerns as well for that.

Would it work for you all if we had an ability…

7. Improve Grading for Multiple Polls at One Time

Create an easier user interface for grading multiple polls on one page with the option to give a unique number of points for various answers (both incorrect and correct) without having to click on each individual poll and change the response grading from there.

I grade all of the polling questions at the end of the week, and there can be 20+ polls for each section that I'm responsible for. Having to click on each polling question and changing the grade values for each possible response is tedious and is prone to having me make grading mistake on my end…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We are actually working on a large project right now that should really help with grading polls. We are basically working on re-doing our entire poll creation process (and we’re finally close enough to talk about it).

This will have greater customization and editing for poll questions at the creation stage (including grading). I do not believe this is currently slated to include increased support to our Weighted Grading feature (https://polleverywhere.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/799830) – which is currently in beta testing. But, this should be an easier process soon

I will update this post when we are about to send out the new update

8. Better options for the iPad

Identical utility when using an iPad

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Are you mostly planning on presenting your polls from an iPad or do you use an iPad as a desktop replacement right now?

We are actively working on an Office 365 integration with PowerPoint for iPad which will add a lot of presentation support similar to our current PowerPoint integration, but we don’t have any immediate plans to add touch support to all of our poll management features

9. Text only (not requiring answer)

Text only. I want to have instead of a question at the beginning of the survey to have a set of directions explaining how to use it. There doesn't appear to be a "non question" type of design feature.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  10. Student Name / Identifier Appearance

Is there some way we could have either the student's name or NetID or some sort of identifier appear on the answer response screens for students? This would help course staff be able to quickly see if a student is polling in for another classmate when they have two polling devices open.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Are you asking to have the student’s name display on the pollev.com/:Username or web response page?

I assume you would be walking around a lab like classroom where they are using desktop or laptop computers to respond. Does that sound right?

Currently we just have a “hamburger” icon (those three horizontal lines) on the top right. We could replace that with the student’s first name if they are logged in. I’ll bring it up with the team and see if there are any dangers or complexities that I’m missing, but I think this should be straightforward.

11. OneNote/Class Notebook Integration

Embed Poll Everywhere polls in OneNote/Class Notebook from Microsoft.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Well, right now OneNote just doesn’t have an API or platform that we can build off of. If they do start to allow embedding 3rd party webpages (that are not videos) > then we should be able to work on building that. We’re pretty much just waiting on Microsoft until then

You can see a thread about this request for Microsoft here: https://onenote.uservoice.com/forums/327186-onenote-for-windows-windows-phone/suggestions/5776804-embed-webpages-and-other-live-content-in-onenote

12. Allow a "test mode" for audience device displays

The ability to change the display on audience devices so that it's not obvious which answer was selected. It's almost impossible to not see what others have selected on their device. My work around suggestion was to force texting only for quizzes. Our faculty have observed rampant cheating on quizzes, especially in classrooms with raked seating. Apparently it's very interesting to watch from the back of the room and see the answers flow from the from to the back of the room.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is tough. My suggestion as a workaround for you all would be to use our multi-page Survey features for your quizzes in class. On these surveys when you submit a response > the student will be taken to the next question in the survey/quiz instead of leaving the question displayed until the professor/teacher moves to the next question.

Otherwise, this is a tough balance for us to fight against cheating and also abide by accessibility guidelines to allow students to know what they selected.

I’ll pass this along to some of our design team and see if they can think of anything clever we can do to satisfy both of these needs

13. Integrate with webinar services

Easy integration with webinar services. Maybe code or the like.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Business  ·  Admin →

What sort of integration are you thinking of? I know some webinar services have some basic multiple choice polling where you can ask the attendees a quick multiple choice question within the webinar app. Are you thinking of something similar with Poll Everywhere?

Or, something entirely different! Let us know

14. Total the points in gradebook

In the gradebook feature, include a total of the points each poll taker has earned. As I have a paid subscription for my 300+ class, it would be so much easier when a student emails to just look and say "oh, out of the last 20 in-class poll everywhere quizzes, you've earned 15 points." Right now I have to manually add this up. While I appreciate you're integrated with Canvas & Blackboard, my University does not have this function available to me yet (or you'd bet I'd be using it). I've suggested it to them, but am considering switching to…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Whew, 300+ class I can sympathize with that! My first recommendation is that all of our paid Higher-Ed plans (Including the Individual Instructor Plan that you are on) does come with our Canvas/Blackboard integration. So, if your university will let you, we can set that up for you with no extra cost. Just send an email to support@polleverywhere.com and we can get you set up.

Otherwise, outside of our integrations finding all the poll questions a students DIDN’T ANSWER is a little tricky for us. We record everything based on poll questions instead of students, so finding a “null case” is hard for our system right now. If enough people are interested, we’ll definitely prioritize it. Otherwise, I suggest our LMS integrations in the meantime

15. PowerPoint DataSheets

I would like a live poll, activated through PowerPoint, could publish some data back into a DataSheet in PowerPoint. I run into this is a class where I want to use demographic data to sort my results and display them as a combine graph.
    I have been able to do this with Turning Point. I can get this data from reports, I just want it to be fed back live to my PPT.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow full LaTeX for more than just equations

i.e., allow more than just limited / simple LaTeX

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Darken Screen After Responding

Redesign the user screen so that answers aren’t displayed more than a few seconds, and in a small box on computers. Our lecturers ask students to poll in with their individual response, then discuss with a neighbor and poll in again. With the large computer screens displaying student answers, there is no need for discussion as students will just look off of their neighbor's screen. This is a negative for our classes and it changes the way our lecturers teach, and gives cause to minimize the use of polling.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

That’s an interesting use case. I can understand why this would be helpful in a “lab” type setting. The way you describe it, to have the screen darken after a few seconds, would go against our accessibility guidelines for ADA compliance. We might be able to get by this with an “opt-in” feature that you could select. I would need to ask our design team if they have any ideas

One thing, have you tried our multi-page survey features at all? It’s designed for a more asynchronous teaching style to let students answer questions at their own pace. However, it does let them answer a question > click Next > and this takes them to the next poll question in the survey. At this point the students could discuss in pairs/groups about the question they just answered and then make adjustments/comments in a followup question. You can see a bit…

18. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I haven’t heard of Entrada before, but we can certainly check it out. We’re always interested in more LMS integrations. If they support LTI 2.0 then there’s a good shot that we’ll be able to work with Entrada in the future

Thanks for the idea!

Brian
    - Poll Everywhere Product Manager

19. Presenters would like to be able to Password protect their polling sessions

This idea was brought to my attention by an educator. The idea is derived from the desire to ensure that students are present in class before participating. One easy way to do this is to apply a simple password or key required to access the presenter's pollev.com response page.

My initial idea is to integrate this into the user settings, in the Poll Settings of the Personal Info page.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  20. Different participant ID's for two (or more) presenter's under one account

Two different professors at my university are using a polleverywhere account registered under the university's account for classes. The problem is that they each want me to use a different method of identification, but under the university's account I can only pick one special ID which ends up used for both, rather than a separate ID for each professor (unless I'm mistaken).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You are not mistaken. We currently have it, so that all students are registered with all of the professors on the same account. This makes it easy for you (the student) because you don’t need to register multiple times with multiple professors. Just once and your done. It’s especially good for universities which have the students pay for the license themselves.

Unfortunately, that makes it hard for you (the students) to have specific settings just for individual professors. This is only the second time I’ve heard this, but this might be happening more and I can understand the frustration.

I’ll bring it up to our engineering team and see the difficulty for this.

Best,
    Brian

Educators' Ideas

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base