Skip to content

Educators' Ideas

106 results found

1. A filter to seach for keywords

For Q&A, open ended question type etc., it would be useful to have a filter to allow faculty to quickly search for keywords.

Especially when there is a large group and faculty wants to quickly screen for correct response/s to bring up for further discussion.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  2. Line breaks in responses

I really like Poll Everywhere, but a serious short-coming for me is the lack of a very basic function.

I would like to be able to use Poll Everywhere to get students to practice their essay writing skills. My plan is to have students write or plan essay sections in groups in class time; be able to see the results as they come in; and at the end of the session be able to step through what is good/bad/otherwise about the answers on the big screen.

This is important to me because, as a legal academic, part of my role…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. We really appreciate it. Before I get into the specifics, may I ask – about how long are the responses that you are receiving from your students? A rough word count or so would be fantastic, I want to make sure we’re on the same page about length.

Otherwise, there is some technical concerns around adding specific HTML in responses because we don’t want to open any security holes in replies. And, I understand your point that is a large burden on students to learn anyway.

There’s some balance we have between having Enter submit the response instead of a new line. The vast majority of the time we have shorter responses and we want to emphasize speed for real time replies. But, I can understand confusion there. We had a lot of back and forth on which is the appropriate behavior.

Ultimately, I think…

3. Manually input/modify user responses

One thing that is a bit irksome is when students have technical issues with their response to a poll that I use as a quiz. My current workaround is to manually adjust their score after the fact. Is there a way for me to manually input a response for a student? That would be such a useful feature.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately, we do not have a way to do that right now and we’re hesitant to make one. The basic hangup is that we have to plan and account for bad actors. For a university that’s a reasonable situation, but for our corporate clients it is much more nuanced because we don’t want them to be altering each others responses.

There might be something we can do with a larger permissions situation. I’ll bring it up to the team.

Thanks for the feedback

4. Customizing poll appearance

More customization of how the polls appear to the audience. Also improving the cloud option for brain-storming

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

We have a lot of customization options for how the bar chart (and other visualizations) look on the big screen. Is there any kind of visualization option you had in mind?

These include the sizing of the different chart elements, colors, background image, logo, side-by-side image, and a lot more. You can read about them or watch a vide of how they look here: https://www.polleverywhere.com/guides/presenter/getting-started#customizing-your-poll

5. Give response summary / poll control window a smaller minimum size

I keep PollEverywhere running in a web browser window (running a single poll with possible responses 1-9) while I deliver my lecture from another window (including occasional multiple choice "quiz questions" with up to 9 possible responses). For this arrangement, it is super-important that the PE window use as little screen real estate as possible, especially in the horizontal dimension. Could you please make it possible to resize it a bit narrower?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is a workaround that might work for you. If you are creating these quiz questions ahead of time, you can actual use our mobile website to present. It’s not as pretty as our full website and lacks some features, but the core functionality is there. Especially if you are primarily using Multiple Choice Polls.

You can go to pollev.com/present in your web browser. Log into your account and click on the title of one of your poll questions. There’s an activation option to activate and we’ll display the results right there. That page is fully response and you can make it quite small

You can see a little bit of how this looks and works here: https://www.polleverywhere.com/guides/presenter/tips-and-tricks

Let me know if that’ll do the trick for you. And, thanks for the feedback!

6. ranking

It would be great if "Ranking" polls could be graded, meaning that the initial order entered by the poll creator is considered "correct" and students can be evaluated on whether they got it right or not.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  7. Multi-country SMS option

I need an SMS number for South Africa.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Keep questions from appearing in User's response history (tests)

We would like to give graded Tests & Quizzes using the Survey feature. Our concern however is that the responses then show to the students/users in their response history. This could help them in future tests to see what they said previously.

Maybe this feature could be when the question is created, with a check box that says "restrict question and answer from showing in user's response history"

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

We actually just released something very similar, although it does not go as far as you suggested. Our new feature will allow you to hide the Correct Answer from a student’s response history. So, while they will know what they selected previously, it does not let them know if they were correct. You can see some more details for this here: https://polleverywhere.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1130833

I’m hesitant to hide the full question and answer however. It’s common for student’s to accidentally register under a personal email address and this response history is the only way we have to rectify the situation. We also have a number of faculty who promote using the Response History for studying and reviewing for exams.

Do you think hiding the correct answer is enough or would more restriction help?

9. Pictures with text caption as answers

Mixed-format possible answers, e.g., a figure with its caption. I would find it useful to both show something to be chosen, and display a small text with some extra info for each picture/answer.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This has come up in some of our recent conversations about web-accessibility and the need to add captions/text for accessibility to uploaded images. There are still some outstanding questions for this, specifically with the best way to display this on the visual chart. There’s just limited available space.

- Would you want the text to be displayed over the image or separated? Or, would it matter for you?

Thanks for the idea!

Brian
    Product Manager of Poll Everywhere

10. counters for no of responses and time elapsed on the poll page

For class room use, it would be great to have a live counter for no of responses and time elapsed on the poll page. See attached screenshot from another polling software. This would greatly enhance the in class usage.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Student-to-instructor channel

It would be helpful to have a way for students to submit questions to the instructor in a way that allows the instructor to see who asked the question. The student question would by default NOT be visible to everyone, but the instructor could choose to make it visible in the system. Ideally, there would also be options to respond either directly to the student, or post a response to the entire group through the system.

The open-ended polls can be used for this, but I'd like to be able to have this option without launching a poll. (Also, I've…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Improve display of images in MCQ answers

Images in MCQ answers are very small on the presentation screen as they are at the end of a bar that would usually contain text. For MCQ questions using images in the answer could the screen estate be better utilized? Example attached. Matt

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  13. Integrate iCollege grading

Integrate with grading book in iCollege.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  14. Location Tracking

GPS tracking to discourage cheaters. Some stay home in their dorms/apartments and just wait for a poll to come up. We have to find clever ways to keep them from cheating.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

This has always been a far-off dream for us and I 100% understand the desire to limit responses to only participants within the room. We have been waiting and hoping for GeoTracking technology to be reliable enough for us to use as part of our regular workflow. I have personally used Uber or enough times where they have me one or more city blocks away from my actual location and we really don’t want the same situation to prevent a student from getting any class credit.

That said, there are a few ways we could try to tackle the problem. Would something like this work for you?
    - you are able to set you poll questions to “Request the participants location” before they are able to respond
    - the student is then prompted to share their location on the phone/laptop
    - if Poll Everywhere is unable to determine the location…

15. Include poll timestamp in Gradebook

The Gradebook includes points per poll, but does not tell you what polls were taken, for example, on the same day (in academia, that would equal one class period). Including the timestamp for each poll (i.e., when it was activated) allow the presenter to easier process and analyze the data in external applications and to generate daily averages.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Adjustable auto-close time for survey & questions

We're looking for a custom auto-locking survey (but could be for any question) based on time after the survey has opened. Right now it has auto-close for 5 minutes, 1 hour, or 1 day. After that the custom button lets you set a day and time. We just want to option to type in a number of minutes, specifically for us - 20 minutes. The survey will close 20 minutes after it opens to the students.

Thanks!

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  17. Add chart to remote control view.

Right now if you look at "my activities" in the app you can see participant responses even if they aren't displayed to the participants on the screen. However, when using the "Remote Control" option in the app you can't see the responses. It would be VERY useful for my faculty if they could use the app to both control their presentations and see the participant responses in advance

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Enhanced Rich Text Editing for Questions and Answer Choices

Add a rich text editor for questions and answer choices. Many users need more control over how text appears than the current platform allows.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

What sorts of text controls did you have in mind? We do have a few options right now such as using LaTeX for math or science equations and then we also have the ability to add italics, break lines, and bold characters in the questions.

Could you give us a few examples of things you would like to add?

For info on LaTeX:https://www.polleverywhere.com/support/articles/power-users/latex

For info on italics, bold, and break lines: https://www.polleverywhere.com/blog/new-features-roundup-bold-italics-and-breaks/

Thanks for the feedback!

19. Add more slots to the “Recent Presentations” on the home screen of the mobile app.

Hello, I am a first year medical student. We use Poll Everywhere multiple times a week with several different professors. It works well, however we are constantly entering different presentation names. Is it possible to add a few more slots (6-9 total) to “Recent presentations?”

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add tags to polls

It would be nice if users could add tags to polls based on topics, subject matter, or organization. For example, if I'm teaching a biology course that's M/W/F this semester but T/TH next semester, I will want to re-arrange my groups to fit the new schedule. Similarly, I might have questions on a particular topic that I use in different classes. If I know that I have a question on "mitosis" but I'm not sure which group or whether that word appears in the question text, if the question was tagged with that term and the term was searchable it…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! That’s an interesting request. Do you have a preference for using tags over, say, a more hierarchical folder system?

I know there’s been requests for both and they address similar, but different problems. Regardless, thank you for the details feedback! I’ll pass this along to the team

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Educators' Ideas

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base