Skip to content

Educators' Ideas

155 results found

1. For multipule resonse such as 2 or more responses to a poll will give full credit or no credit at all (no partial credit/weighted grading).

For a multiple choice question: 4 of the 5 possible responses will be correct and be assigned one point total. If all four responses are selected with "Mark as Correct", and a student doesn’t select all 4 correct answers then they will receive a zero

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

We do have a weighted grading feature that can be enabled from our Features lab section. It’s pretty stable, but we do not have all the features we want in it yet to be completely released by default. You can turn it on and try it out by doing the following:
    1. Click on the gear icon on the top right of the page and go to Settings
    2. Select Features lab on the left side of settings
    3. scroll down and click the Enabled button for Weighted grading
    4. click the Apply labs settings button at the bottom of the page

Then for any Multiple Choice Poll you can go to Edit > and assign specific points for each answer choice

2. Improve display of images in MCQ answers

Images in MCQ answers are very small on the presentation screen as they are at the end of a bar that would usually contain text. For MCQ questions using images in the answer could the screen estate be better utilized? Example attached. Matt

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  3. Text only (not requiring answer)

Text only. I want to have instead of a question at the beginning of the survey to have a set of directions explaining how to use it. There doesn't appear to be a "non question" type of design feature.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  4. Pictures with text caption as answers

Mixed-format possible answers, e.g., a figure with its caption. I would find it useful to both show something to be chosen, and display a small text with some extra info for each picture/answer.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

This has come up in some of our recent conversations about web-accessibility and the need to add captions/text for accessibility to uploaded images. There are still some outstanding questions for this, specifically with the best way to display this on the visual chart. There’s just limited available space.

- Would you want the text to be displayed over the image or separated? Or, would it matter for you?

Thanks for the idea!

Brian
    Product Manager of Poll Everywhere

5. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I haven’t heard of Entrada before, but we can certainly check it out. We’re always interested in more LMS integrations. If they support LTI 2.0 then there’s a good shot that we’ll be able to work with Entrada in the future

Thanks for the idea!

Brian
    - Poll Everywhere Product Manager

6. Different participant ID's for two (or more) presenter's under one account

Two different professors at my university are using a polleverywhere account registered under the university's account for classes. The problem is that they each want me to use a different method of identification, but under the university's account I can only pick one special ID which ends up used for both, rather than a separate ID for each professor (unless I'm mistaken).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You are not mistaken. We currently have it, so that all students are registered with all of the professors on the same account. This makes it easy for you (the student) because you don’t need to register multiple times with multiple professors. Just once and your done. It’s especially good for universities which have the students pay for the license themselves.

Unfortunately, that makes it hard for you (the students) to have specific settings just for individual professors. This is only the second time I’ve heard this, but this might be happening more and I can understand the frustration.

I’ll bring it up to our engineering team and see the difficulty for this.

Best,
    Brian

7. hide responses on Android version

Allow the hide responses option on the Android version. I appreciate that you have an app so we can lecture from a tablet or phone, but I don't like showing the responses until after everyone has responded.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m glad to hear you’ve been able to present from our Android application! I’ll bring this up with our design team and see if we can think of a way to do this. Right now, we do have a hide/show responses control in our application, but only as a remote control for our PowerPoint integration. So, we need to find a way to distinguish this from the remote control version.

Definitely something to look into for us. Thanks for the idea!

8. Allow full LaTeX for more than just equations

i.e., allow more than just limited / simple LaTeX

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow Credit/No Credit Responses

Students enjoy the text wall and word cloud options, but currently cannot get points for them. Having a way to assign credit for responses given, without limiting students to specific words, would be a marked improvement to PollEverywhere's functionality. Making the innovative response patterns Credit/No Credit would really motivate and innovate the classroom.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is interesting. Right now we do give a Participation Score with our Gradebook report that will give credit to students who respond to our Open Ended Poll like Word Cloud and Text Wall. However, our LMS integrations with Blackboard and Canvas do not send this participation score. They only receive the Correctness score. I suspect this is what is happening for you all.

I have opened up a request with our Integrations Team to look into the difficulty/complexity to send a “grade” for our open ended polls. We have to check with Blackboard and Canvas to find the best way to send this information.

Does that sound like it’s describing your situation?

10. Student Name / Identifier Appearance

Is there some way we could have either the student's name or NetID or some sort of identifier appear on the answer response screens for students? This would help course staff be able to quickly see if a student is polling in for another classmate when they have two polling devices open.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Are you asking to have the student’s name display on the pollev.com/:Username or web response page?

I assume you would be walking around a lab like classroom where they are using desktop or laptop computers to respond. Does that sound right?

Currently we just have a “hamburger” icon (those three horizontal lines) on the top right. We could replace that with the student’s first name if they are logged in. I’ll bring it up with the team and see if there are any dangers or complexities that I’m missing, but I think this should be straightforward.

11. Keep questions from appearing in User's response history (tests)

We would like to give graded Tests & Quizzes using the Survey feature. Our concern however is that the responses then show to the students/users in their response history. This could help them in future tests to see what they said previously.

Maybe this feature could be when the question is created, with a check box that says "restrict question and answer from showing in user's response history"

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

We actually just released something very similar, although it does not go as far as you suggested. Our new feature will allow you to hide the Correct Answer from a student’s response history. So, while they will know what they selected previously, it does not let them know if they were correct. You can see some more details for this here: https://polleverywhere.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1130833

I’m hesitant to hide the full question and answer however. It’s common for student’s to accidentally register under a personal email address and this response history is the only way we have to rectify the situation. We also have a number of faculty who promote using the Response History for studying and reviewing for exams.

Do you think hiding the correct answer is enough or would more restriction help?

12. Student-to-instructor channel

It would be helpful to have a way for students to submit questions to the instructor in a way that allows the instructor to see who asked the question. The student question would by default NOT be visible to everyone, but the instructor could choose to make it visible in the system. Ideally, there would also be options to respond either directly to the student, or post a response to the entire group through the system.

The open-ended polls can be used for this, but I'd like to be able to have this option without launching a poll. (Also, I've…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. prevent cheating - highlight ALL responses after a response is submitted

Currently, student responses are highlighted on their screens. In a large, crowded lecture hall, any confused student can look around and see the majority response on their neighbors' screens. This makes respond-on-your-own questions fruitless.

A simple fix: once a student chooses a response, ALL responses are highlighted.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I can see how this could be a problem, especially in a lab or large lecture hall where most students would be responding from laptops. It’s a little easier than a small cell phone screen. There is certainly the tried and true method of peaking at your classmates paper.

We show the option that a student selected to allow them to change their answer (assuming our Clear response feature is enabled on the poll question) and to provide some feedback for the student to see if they got the question correct. And, we would like to have this continue to be our default setup.

We could make a toggle switch for you to go on anti-cheat mode or the like for more preventative measures. May I ask, would you want this setting on all of your poll questions or are there poll questions where you would want the student’s to…

14. Darken Screen After Responding

Redesign the user screen so that answers aren’t displayed more than a few seconds, and in a small box on computers. Our lecturers ask students to poll in with their individual response, then discuss with a neighbor and poll in again. With the large computer screens displaying student answers, there is no need for discussion as students will just look off of their neighbor's screen. This is a negative for our classes and it changes the way our lecturers teach, and gives cause to minimize the use of polling.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

That’s an interesting use case. I can understand why this would be helpful in a “lab” type setting. The way you describe it, to have the screen darken after a few seconds, would go against our accessibility guidelines for ADA compliance. We might be able to get by this with an “opt-in” feature that you could select. I would need to ask our design team if they have any ideas

One thing, have you tried our multi-page survey features at all? It’s designed for a more asynchronous teaching style to let students answer questions at their own pace. However, it does let them answer a question > click Next > and this takes them to the next poll question in the survey. At this point the students could discuss in pairs/groups about the question they just answered and then make adjustments/comments in a followup question. You can see a bit…

15. Quick Clear button for Google Slides

Would like to see a "clear results" button on the poll so when I do back-to-back Google Slides presentations, it would be easier to clear.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  16. lms

Requests integration with LMS Jenzabar

https://www.jenzabar.com/

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Turn off voting while generating ideas in Q&A polls

When using a Q and A poll for idea generation/brainstorming, it's really hard to stop people voting while still in the brainstorming/idea generation phase. It would be great to be able to disable the voting feature until the ideas are all generated then turn it on for voting. It would also be good to be able to allocate a certain number of votes per respondent to limit how many ideas they can vote for. If this was a set percentage of the total ideas that the presenter can choose, that would be a really cool feature.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Business  ·  Admin →

Very interesting idea! If I may ask:

- Would you still allow people to submit new ideas after allowing the voting? Or, would it be an up/down voting phase only
    - And, would you want to just have a button the presenter can click on the chart to begin to allow voting or a different method?

It’s a very interesting idea though! I’ll run it by the team

18. Allow for personalized polling order output in created reports.

When reports are created, it organizes the polls by name instead of order presented to my class. So instead of seeing my questions appear in the order that they were presented (ex: Q1, Q2, Q3, Q1, Q2, Q3, Q1, Q2, Q3) they appear to be organized by name (ex: Q1, Q1, Q1, Q2, Q2, Q2, Q3, Q3, Q3). Can we set it up so that if I wish to view my students response patterns over the course of the quarter in a spreadsheet that they appear in chronological order? Or at the very least, in the order they appear listed…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  19. Location Tracking

GPS tracking to discourage cheaters. Some stay home in their dorms/apartments and just wait for a poll to come up. We have to find clever ways to keep them from cheating.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

This has always been a far-off dream for us and I 100% understand the desire to limit responses to only participants within the room. We have been waiting and hoping for GeoTracking technology to be reliable enough for us to use as part of our regular workflow. I have personally used Uber or enough times where they have me one or more city blocks away from my actual location and we really don’t want the same situation to prevent a student from getting any class credit.

That said, there are a few ways we could try to tackle the problem. Would something like this work for you?
    - you are able to set you poll questions to “Request the participants location” before they are able to respond
    - the student is then prompted to share their location on the phone/laptop
    - if Poll Everywhere is unable to determine the location…

20. Make it seamless to use a Power Point doc with polls on multiple computers

Make it easier to use the Poll Everywhere plugin for Power Point.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Is there anything in particular that you are having trouble with regarding our PowerPoint integration? I know there a few trouble spots when using multiple computers with our application.

For example, are you having trouble installing the add-in? Or, maybe tracking which “user” is logged in within our PowerPoint application? Or, something else!

We’re always on the lookout for improvements.

Educators' Ideas

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base