Skip to content

Educators' Ideas

81 results found

1. KWL tags for pollev

Create an online "K-W-L" chart for educators; poll takers could tag their post as either the K, W, or L category, and Poll EV would project the responses in three columns.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

Interesting idea! Thank you. I’ll pass this along to out user research team to see if we can drum up some more support for it.

May I ask, about how long of a response do you usually get for each of these? We’ll want to make sure we leave enough room to display these responses on the chart.

2. Allow Credit/No Credit Responses

Students enjoy the text wall and word cloud options, but currently cannot get points for them. Having a way to assign credit for responses given, without limiting students to specific words, would be a marked improvement to PollEverywhere's functionality. Making the innovative response patterns Credit/No Credit would really motivate and innovate the classroom.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

This is interesting. Right now we do give a Participation Score with our Gradebook report that will give credit to students who respond to our Open Ended Poll like Word Cloud and Text Wall. However, our LMS integrations with Blackboard and Canvas do not send this participation score. They only receive the Correctness score. I suspect this is what is happening for you all.

I have opened up a request with our Integrations Team to look into the difficulty/complexity to send a “grade” for our open ended polls. We have to check with Blackboard and Canvas to find the best way to send this information.

Does that sound like it’s describing your situation?

3. Slide appearance

More control over font, background color, etc

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have a pretty extensive amount of customization options for our chart. Including background color, text color, sizing, background images, side by side images along with your chart, and six or so different fonts. We go over a lot of these and how they work in our User Guide here: https://www.polleverywhere.com/guides/presenter/getting-started#customizing-your-poll

Is there anything in particular that you are looking for in customizing the slide?

4. Canvas Integration with Participant List

The Canvas Integration for the participant lists will update the list with new users but not remove the users that dropped the Canvas course. This is causing issues because we need to send an e-mail for students to reset their password prior to the first day of class so they are registered and several students are receiving the e-mail because they dropped the course.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I can understand the frustration with students dropping the course. Destructive actions like removing students from participant groups are always a little dangerous because we don’t have a way to “undo” them. The last thing we want to do is to remove a student incorrectly and have them get zeroes or be unable to reply.

I’ll pass this along to our Integrations Team and see what we can do. We also need to dig in a little deeper to what Canvas allows. Destructive actions like deleting often have more permissions rules with an integration and we will need to make sure that we can do it with our current method of integrating with Canvas.

Thanks for the feedback! Sorry, I do not have a better workaround yet for you all.

5. Lock down for summative assessment

Lock down option for simple summative assessment

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I believe you’re referring to a way to prevent students from accessing other applications on their phone/device while replying to polls or surveys. Let me know if that isn’t what you all meant here.

We don’t have any immediate plans to implement this as it is particularly invasive for us to do with our iOS and Android Apps and hurts a lot of accessibility rules.

One thing we have been discussing, and I’d love to hear if it would work for you all. is to track any time a student leaves or closes our site/app and share that information in a report with the professor. That does involve some more work to audit the report, but helps prevent any honest mistakes for the student and keeps us out of Apple’s bad side.

Would that be sufficient for you all?

6. For the Moodle integration, automatically send students a registration link

Right now, the e-mail sent out to students notifies students that their account has been created, but does not explain the registration process or provide a link. It would be great if these were provided or if the e-mail was customizable by the instructor.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Right now (as of about August), we send an email to students who are registered via an LMS. This email says:
    “[Professor Name] has registered you as a participant with their Poll Everywhere account. To log in and complete the registration process use the following link: [password_link]”

We’re currently working on a way to allow professors to resend this link to their students in bulk if they haven’t received it or haven’t logged in. We can definitely look into some ways to customize this message, but it is a bit larger of a project than we’d like because we need to store these customized messages, add some handling to prevent spam (in case someone is only pretending to be an educator), and then change the LMS invitation workflow to allow some handling to customize the email. It’s something we will definitely consider if we hear it requested from some…

7. Customize default invitation email to be from institution, not name

We would like to be able to customize the invitation email to say the name of our school, not the name of the person sending the invite. We know there's a workaround of changing your name to be the name of the institution, but it would be nicer if there were a default that we could control as admins.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →

We do offer the ability to customize the body of the invitation email. Just click the “I’d like to customize the invitation message” and our hope was that this would be enough to give context to anyone receiving the message.

I’m hesitant to add an option to override the name of the person sending the invite because we want to have a public audit trail of who on the account invited the new users. For example, an account that has multiple Administrators may want to have some trail of exactly who sent the invite and who to follow up with in case there are issues.

There’s other better ways we can do this, but I don’t want to overcomplicate the invitation process with more settings.

I will have our design team look into setting the invitation as coming from the Organization Name in a prominent place in the email. I…

8. Data vizualization freedom

Poll participants can create their own data visualizations. Woah.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Text only (not requiring answer)

Text only. I want to have instead of a question at the beginning of the survey to have a set of directions explaining how to use it. There doesn't appear to be a "non question" type of design feature.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  10. Student Name / Identifier Appearance

Is there some way we could have either the student's name or NetID or some sort of identifier appear on the answer response screens for students? This would help course staff be able to quickly see if a student is polling in for another classmate when they have two polling devices open.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Are you asking to have the student’s name display on the pollev.com/:Username or web response page?

I assume you would be walking around a lab like classroom where they are using desktop or laptop computers to respond. Does that sound right?

Currently we just have a “hamburger” icon (those three horizontal lines) on the top right. We could replace that with the student’s first name if they are logged in. I’ll bring it up with the team and see if there are any dangers or complexities that I’m missing, but I think this should be straightforward.

11. OneNote/Class Notebook Integration

Embed Poll Everywhere polls in OneNote/Class Notebook from Microsoft.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Well, right now OneNote just doesn’t have an API or platform that we can build off of. If they do start to allow embedding 3rd party webpages (that are not videos) > then we should be able to work on building that. We’re pretty much just waiting on Microsoft until then

You can see a thread about this request for Microsoft here: https://onenote.uservoice.com/forums/327186-onenote-for-windows-windows-phone/suggestions/5776804-embed-webpages-and-other-live-content-in-onenote

12. PowerPoint DataSheets

I would like a live poll, activated through PowerPoint, could publish some data back into a DataSheet in PowerPoint. I run into this is a class where I want to use demographic data to sort my results and display them as a combine graph.
    I have been able to do this with Turning Point. I can get this data from reports, I just want it to be fed back live to my PPT.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow full LaTeX for more than just equations

i.e., allow more than just limited / simple LaTeX

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Darken Screen After Responding

Redesign the user screen so that answers aren’t displayed more than a few seconds, and in a small box on computers. Our lecturers ask students to poll in with their individual response, then discuss with a neighbor and poll in again. With the large computer screens displaying student answers, there is no need for discussion as students will just look off of their neighbor's screen. This is a negative for our classes and it changes the way our lecturers teach, and gives cause to minimize the use of polling.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

That’s an interesting use case. I can understand why this would be helpful in a “lab” type setting. The way you describe it, to have the screen darken after a few seconds, would go against our accessibility guidelines for ADA compliance. We might be able to get by this with an “opt-in” feature that you could select. I would need to ask our design team if they have any ideas

One thing, have you tried our multi-page survey features at all? It’s designed for a more asynchronous teaching style to let students answer questions at their own pace. However, it does let them answer a question > click Next > and this takes them to the next poll question in the survey. At this point the students could discuss in pairs/groups about the question they just answered and then make adjustments/comments in a followup question. You can see a bit…

15. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I haven’t heard of Entrada before, but we can certainly check it out. We’re always interested in more LMS integrations. If they support LTI 2.0 then there’s a good shot that we’ll be able to work with Entrada in the future

Thanks for the idea!

Brian
    - Poll Everywhere Product Manager

16. Presenters would like to be able to Password protect their polling sessions

This idea was brought to my attention by an educator. The idea is derived from the desire to ensure that students are present in class before participating. One easy way to do this is to apply a simple password or key required to access the presenter's pollev.com response page.

My initial idea is to integrate this into the user settings, in the Poll Settings of the Personal Info page.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  17. hide responses on Android version

Allow the hide responses option on the Android version. I appreciate that you have an app so we can lecture from a tablet or phone, but I don't like showing the responses until after everyone has responded.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m glad to hear you’ve been able to present from our Android application! I’ll bring this up with our design team and see if we can think of a way to do this. Right now, we do have a hide/show responses control in our application, but only as a remote control for our PowerPoint integration. So, we need to find a way to distinguish this from the remote control version.

Definitely something to look into for us. Thanks for the idea!

18. Data Visualization of Results

Enhance data visualization options for poll resutls

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow for personalized polling order output in created reports.

When reports are created, it organizes the polls by name instead of order presented to my class. So instead of seeing my questions appear in the order that they were presented (ex: Q1, Q2, Q3, Q1, Q2, Q3, Q1, Q2, Q3) they appear to be organized by name (ex: Q1, Q1, Q1, Q2, Q2, Q2, Q3, Q3, Q3). Can we set it up so that if I wish to view my students response patterns over the course of the quarter in a spreadsheet that they appear in chronological order? Or at the very least, in the order they appear listed…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Education  ·  Admin →
  20. images in polls, in other formats

Add a figure (in different formats such as .pdf, .docx, or .pptx) to a poll

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)